Made from pure ceramic, this type of restoration has the most attractive appearance and in the hands of the right dentist and ceramist, blends seamlessly with your natural teeth. It may be fabricated from a wide range of dental ceramics suitable for each individual patient..
Simply put, there isn’t a better looking dental crown than an all-ceramic type. The life-like quality of a porcelain crown may be attributed to its natural looking colour, which can be matched to perfectly blend in with your adjacent teeth, and its ability to mimic the translucency of real tooth enamel.
A zircornia crown is a popular type of all ceramic crown which is worn to improve the appearance of a tooth. These are durable and long lasting
Zircornia crowns have a translucent appearance which means that they are indistinguishable from original teeth.
What are crowns and bridges?
A crown can be placed for broken or decayed or filled tooth or Root canal treated teeth. The crown shape and color matches the other teeth to give a natural look. The longevity of crown depends on the firmness of the tooth beneath it. During the permanent crown preparation a temporary crown can be placed.
Crown more than one is called bridge which is cemented to supporting tooth which should be healthy. They are placed in the area of missing teeth to bring back the good appearance and to perform the function of the lost teeth. To prepare a bridge dentist prepares the teeth on both sides of the missing teeth.
There are various types of Crowns & Bridges depending on the material used.
What are the different types of crowns available?
Some crowns are made entirely out of metal, gold or silver colored dental alloy.
Advantages: Great strength
The disadvantage of metal dental crowns is their appearance. They are not esthetically pleasing.
PFM CROWN (Porcelain Fused to Metal)
A metal substructure is encased by porcelain cover. They have good aesthetics and strength.
The metal that lies underneath the crown’s porcelain surface can sometimes be seen as a dark line right at the crown’s edge. The dentist will usually try to position the edge of a PFM crown just underneath the tooth’s gum line. But, if a person’s gums happen to recede, this dark line can show, thus spoiling the crown’s appearance
If porcelain covering breakage does occur, it’s very difficult to make a lasting repair.
Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS)
Laser sintering is relatively new; manufacturers claim that the technique is easy to use, produces accurate restorations, simplified post processing procedures, free of porosity
- Thinner margins than PFM
- Can be used to fabricate long span bridges(up to 16 units)
- High precision
Zirconium crowns:(Metal free/zirconium crowns)
Zirconium is becoming one of the most chosen materials for dental crowns. They do not have a metal framework. They are strong ceramic materials with good optical properties.
Its many advantages include:
- Cosmetic beauty
- No dark line
- Non allergic
- Extraordinarily tough
- Can withstand wear and tear
- Translucent enough to be similar to natural teeth
- Less tooth removal
- No Metal fuse
- Modifiable size, shape and color
LAVA 3M ESPE:
LAVA 3M ESPE crowns are all-ceramic system that is based on Lithium disilicate glass, and consists of quartz, lithium dioxide, phosporoxide, alumina, potassium oxide and trace elements.
These are based on all-ceramic prostheses are rapidly gaining widespread popularity in cosmetic dentistry due to their excellent esthetics, durability, and strength.
They are mainly indicated for fabrication of crowns and veneers in the anterior region. However, short-span bridges in the anterior region can also be prepared from LAVA ESPE system.
- Best Match to your Natural Teeth
- All-ceramic Prostheses
- Ability to be Milled
- Conservation of Tooth Structure
- Multiple Options for Teeth Restoration
How can I choose the type of crown among different types of crowns?
There are various factors which determine which is the best crown for you:
- Vitality of teeth(vital or non –vital)
Ex: Vital teeth-Need minimal tooth preparation & hence Zirconium crowns preffered
Non-vital teeth- PFM can be given
- Position of teeth inside the mouth
Ex: Anterior-LAVA 3M ESPE
Posterior-Zirconium crowns, PFM crowns
- Affordability of patient: Zirconium & LAVA crowns are expensive whereas PFM are affordable
How do I care for my crown or bridge?
Regular checkups are required along with proper maintenance.
- After this dental procedure, sensitivity is common in teeth that are not root canal treated, as tooth preparation is done to give a crown or bridge.
- The margins of crown or bridge are sometimes below the gum line and it may cause irritation for few days.
- A temporary crown is usually given for the involved teeth which helps in protecting the teeth and maintains the space while the permanent crown is made.
- The size and shade of temporary crowns are universal whereas the size and shape of permanent crowns are more natural and better matched to other teeth in shade and function.
- For easy removal of temporary crowns they are fixed with temporary cement. If it is dislodged in any case, call our office for appointment.
- If you feel that teeth are not touching correctly after a week or two you can call our office, this can be solved by little adjustment.
- Crown or bridges do not remain the same for years, they wear and may also breakdown in some cases. To retain the restoration for long time proper brushing and flossing has to be done. Teeth have to be cleaned (scaling) for every 6 months. Every year examination should be done by our dentist and x-rays are taken to monitor the health of the teeth under the crown or bridge.
How long will my crown last?
Crown and bridges usually lasts for lifetime if proper care is taken as dental porcelain is durable but not unbreakable. Lifespan of crown depends on the amount of stress it is exposed to and oral hygiene habits of the person. The average life span of crown is 5-15 years. Some crowns lasts longer up to 25-30 years. At least for 5 years the crown should last .Because only after 5 years most insurance companies pay for replacement.
Bridges are fixed,and for cleaning they cannot be removed.Sometimes the crowns become loose and fall out; they can be again fixed in their place by the dentist. The bridge becomes loose if underlying tooth or bone is not healthy or firm. You can avoid chewing hard and sticky food for preventing damage to your crown.
Will I need a root canal if I get a crown?
Everyone who needs a crown may not need a root canal. A tooth with deep cavity near to the pulp root canal treatment is necessary because it is in the pulp we have the nerve. For such tooth before the placement of the crown, root canal treatment is to be completed if necessary. If the tooth structure present is very little our dentist builds up the tooth to support the crown. However a crown has to be placed for every root canal treated tooth.
How Many Appointments are required to get a Dental Bridge?
To get a dental bridge two or more visits are required. On the first visit you consult our dentist and he will discuss and determine if a bridge is the precise treatment for you or not. If required our best dentist will take an x-ray to determine the health of the tooth and bone. The health of gums is very much necessary for a good outcome. During first visit, the teeth are prepared and shade is selected for your teeth. A mold/impression will be taken of the area of bridge. A temporary bridge is made and cemented.
On the next visit permanent bridge is given and any adjustments will be made.
For additional fittings or any complications follow up visits may be necessary.
How should I care of my temporary crown?
They are made for temporary purpose till a permanent crown is made. Some precautions are to be taken with these
- Sticky and chewy foods are avoided because they can pull off the crown
- The usage on the side of temporary crown is to be reduced. Hard foods are avoided.
- The floss is to be slided away from the temporary crown.
- Avoid chewing hard foods (such as raw vegetables), which could dislodge or break the crown.
Will my crown’s shape and color look natural?
The main purpose of giving a crown is to cover all the imperfections & prepare crowns with a natural appearance. Forthat we have to consider a number of factors such as the color, occlusion or bite,shape and length of natural teeth.