Different Types of Braces
If you’re considering braces for yourself or your child, you have many options. Your orthodontist will help you make the best choice for your teeth alignment, but here are the basics of each type.
Traditional metal braces
are made of the stainless steel brackets and wires. New heat-activated arch wires move your teeth more quickly and less painfully as they respond to your body’s heat.
mock metal braces in shape and size, but they use tooth-colored or clear ceramic brackets that blend more naturally into your teeth. Some even use tooth-colored wires to keep your treatment even lower profile.
use the same metal brackets and wires used in traditional braces, but the brackets and wires are installed on the inside of your teeth to keep them hidden.
consists of a series of customized, clear BPA-free plastic tray aligners that are removable and typically replaced every 2 weeks to keep your teeth moving in the desired direction.
What are the signs to know that I need clip treatment?
- Crowding or Mal positioning of teeth
- Proclined teeth/Forwardly placed teeth
- Excessive spacing between the teeth
- Midline of upper and lower teeth are not in alignment
- Sounds in jaw joints
- Under bite or over bite
What causes Crooked teeth?
The Various Causes that result in Crooked teeth are:
- Habits such as thumb sucking, tongue thrusting, pacifier , bottle feeding after the age of seven
- Jaws too small for their teeth which cause crowding and thereby shifting of teeth
- Upper and lower jaws are different sizes or malformed Jaws
- Over bite or under bite
- Excess protrusion of upper jaw or lower jaw
- Inherited traits
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Early loss of permanent teeth
- Dental restorations with improper fit (eg:crowns)
- Pressure on teeth and gums which is undue
- After severe facial injury due to misalignment of jaw
- Tumors in mouth or jaw
When is the best time to schedule an initial consultation for braces?
Ideally Orthodontic screening by a Pedodontist (Children dentist) is recommended at the age of around 7yrs. Children can consult an orthodontist when permanent teeth start to erupt, the Pedodontist can suggest Orthodontist intervention. However ,treatment is not recommended this early. Orthodontist gives good idea of treatment that is likely to be needed, and when to begin. It is important for children to consult Orthodontist around the age of seven as orthodontic problems are corrected easily by early detection and screenings.
When should orthodontic treatment be started?
Orthodontic treatment can be started at an age of 12-13 years of age. You should consult an orthodontist when you have
- Proclined or Retroclined teeth
- Crowding of teeth
- When you are in doubt about teeth alignment
- If your bite is abnormal
- If you have difficulty in biting, speaking or chewing
- Mouth breathing
- Clenching or grinding your teeth
- Inability to comfortably close your lips
- If there is a frequent shift in the position of jaws or making sounds when they move
- If there is cheek bite or any kind of trauma to the palate
You can consult our office for an appointment with the orthodontist.
Does it hurt to get braces?
When you first get your braces, you may require some adjustment as you feel that there is a foreign thing in the mouth.
First three days after application of braces
As your teeth begin to realign you may feel some discomfort. Wax can be placed on the braces to prevent them from rubbing against the inside of cheeks and lips. Our orthodontist will instruct you how to place wax on the braces.
After each orthodontic appointment you are likely to feel the same discomfort. Arch wires and elastic ligatures are changed periodically.
Tips for dealing with discomfort
The discomfort with these braces is inconvenient, but it is manageable and it is only for few days. Dr. Ranjit also suggests salt water rinse to relieve discomfort and swelling.
How often will I come in for an orthodontic appointment?
Braces normally need to be adjusted once for a month unless specified by the orthodontist or if any bracket gets loose or broken or detached.
If I get braces, how long do I have to wear them?
Depending on the individual patient, and the severity of teeth alignment, the amount of time required varies, because response to the treatment is different in every case. The standard treatment time is about 18 months but in few circumstances may vary between 10-30 months.
How can I take care of my teeth if I’m wearing braces or a retainer?
- We at Confydentz dental hospital in guntur suggest a separate brush for Orthodontic patients called as “ORTHO BRUSH” and Interdental brush for better maintenance of oral hygiene.
- Use toothpaste containing fluoride, and fluoride rinse if required to prevent cavities
- During the treatment period avoid sugary foods that increases the bacteria in the mouth which cause plaque and cavities
- Avoid foods which are sticky (chewing gum, caramel), hard foods (hard candy), and foods that struck in braces.
- When you remove the retainer, keep it safely in a container so that it is not lost or broken, brush your teeth and floss
- Your retainer has to be kept clean by brushing with a tooth paste and tooth brush. You can wash it in denture cleaner as your orthodontist suggests. Do not place the retainer in boiling water or dishwasher.
- After the completion of treatment also, visit dentist for every six months.
Will I need to have any permanent teeth extracted?
Parents are concerned when removal of permanent teeth is required. Permanent teeth need to be removed if there is moderate to severe crowding and insufficient space in the jaw for accommodating all the permanent teeth in proper alignment. It is indicated generally when there is:
A) Excessive Crowding
B) Excessive Protrusion
C) Some Cases Of Correction Of Over Bite Or Under Bite
Is it too late to start?
It is never too late to start orthodontic treatment and make your teeth straightened with braces even in adults. Braces are not just for children but for adults also. Even if you are adult and if you need braces for misaligned teeth you can get it done. However, treatment in adults takes a little more time than in children because of the quality of bone.
Will my braces interfere with my school activities like sports, playing an instrument, or singing?
You can carry on with your studies and extracurricular activities as usual. You may find it little difficult at first but you will eventually get used to them in few days. While playing sports, you need to wear a mouth guard which protects the braces or appliance.
What should I do if the braces get dislodged at home?
Brackets are a part of braces, and attached in the center of each tooth surface with cement.
These brackets may get dislodged if the patient bites very hard food (the food to be avoided by the Orthodontic patients) with the braces or if the mouth is hurt during any activity.
If the brackets get loose or dislodged at home
- You need to bring to the notice of the Parent’s or Guardian
- Contact our dental office for determining further steps to be taken.
- If the bracket is rotated around the wire and not coming out and if it is not possible for the patient to reach us then it can be fixed with a temporary fix to eliminate discomfort thereby preventing further damage.
- Take care not to swallow or injure further.
- Bracket is kept back in the place using sterile Tweezer sliding the bracket along the wire to the center of the tooth back into proper position.
I would love to have orthodontic treatment but as an adult I’m too embarrassed to wear braces. Are there any other options?
Now-a-days more adult patients are getting treated than the teenagers and children. The most popular treatment option is Invisalign, where teeth are moved into position by invisible plastic aligners. If braces are recommended by the orthodontist, there are different types of braces in which you can choose so that your appearance is not affected.
Other treatment options are:
1. Ceramic braces
2. Lingual braces
According to the patients affordability, and interest the type of braces can be choosed.
What are the types of braces?
- Traditional Braces- quality of these braces have progressed than those in the early days
- Ceramic Braces- brackets are made up of clear, transparent, ceramic material
- Clear and Removable Aligners (Invisalign)- clear plastic aligners resembling Mouth guards.
- Palatal Expanders- for patients who have overcrowded teeth
What if i ignore orthodontic treatment after suggested by my Dentist ?
If the treatment is ignored there are two types of effects.
- Functional- The function of the teeth such as chewing and speaking is compromised. Maintaining oral hygiene is difficult and teeth eventually end up in Periodontitis and may become loose.
- Esthetic- The appearance of the patient will have a psychological effect on them. They will become conscious of their smile and appearance.
Our Pedodontist Suggested Serial Extraction, What Is It?
Serial extraction is the extraction of certain deciduous teeth and some specific permanent teeth in a sequence and pattern to guide the eruption of permanent teeth in a more favorable position. There is no fixed procedure to be followed in serial extractions. Careful diagnosis has to be done along with continuous re-evaluation. At the age of 8-9 years, deciduous canines are extracted to create space for incisors and their proper alignment, after that a year later deciduous first molars are extracted, to provide space for eruption of first premolars and finally first premolars are extracted to create space for proper alignment of permanent canines.